Benson House with trolley in foreground. The Benson house was built in 1779 by Brigadier General Elijah Abel after the previous house was destroyed during the burning of Fairfield. The home was purchased by Captain Abraham Benson in 1810. The home was remodeled in 1830 to be used as a tavern. The tavern opened in 1831 and operated until the late 1940's.