Mystic Seaport 1,219 views
Hartford Public Library 857 views
Connecticut Historical Society 624 views
Avon Free Public Library 598 views
Bridgeport History Center 505 views
Connecticut History 384 views
Lyman Allyn Art Museum 369 views
Groton Public Library 366 views
Remembering World War One 322 views
Cities, Suburbs, and Schools Project 263 views
About This Collection
- Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries, Activism includes collections emanating from individual, organizational and mass movements for social, cultural and political change. The Alternative Press and Human Rights Collections contain materials ranging from the early 20th century to the present consisting of thousands of newspapers, serials, books, pamphlets, photography, posters, personal papers, ephemera and artifacts documenting activist themes and organizations. Subjects include the Vietnam era, prisons, LGBTQ, child labor, liberation struggles, peace and justice, civil rights, anarchism, student activism, feminism and related unrest among many others., Activism includes collections emanating from individual, organizational and mass movements for social, cultural and political change.
- American School for the Deaf
- In 1817, Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, a recent Yale graduate and ordained clergyman, met the Dr. Mason Fitch Cogswell family and their deaf daughter, Alice. Embarking on a voyage to Europe to learn the art of educating deaf children, Gallaudet encountered the exciting work of l'Institut National de Jeunes Sourds de Paris (school for the deaf in Paris, France). He then enlisted Laurent Clerc, a talented, young, deaf teacher to join him in a historic journey back home to establish the first permanent school for the deaf in the United States. Over the years, this school has served as the "Mother School" in providing an exemplary model educational program; a site for teacher training and practicum; and as a springboard from which trained and experienced educators of the deaf went forth to educate and to start other schools for the deaf all over the country and to help found a college in Washington, D.C. We are proud of our alumni who are engaged in the world as educated, self-supporting and productive citizens.We take pride in our tradition of excellence and innovative educational programming. As we address the ever-present challenge of serving infants, children, youth and adults who are deaf and hard of hearing, we are always seeking ways to apply new knowledge, approaches and technology in our work., American School for the Deaf
- Avon Free Public Library
- The Avon Free Public Library can be traced back to 1791 when Rev. Rufus Hawley started collecting money from residents to purchase books for a community library. In 1798, Samuel Bishop, a prominent citizen, began offering library services within his home with a collection of 111 titles. The library is a member of Library Connection, Inc., the cooperative regional automated circulation and online catalog database system, Encore, to which 30 libraries belong. Through this system, over 4 million volumes are available through interlibrary loan, the statewide reciprocal borrowing arrangement which encompasses over 160 libraries. Library cards are issued to town residents with valid identification, are active for 3 years, and can be used in any public library within Connecticut under a statewide program called Connecticard. You may apply for a card at the Circulation Desk. A printable registration form is available online. Our mission is to serve as the center of enrichment for the Avon community providing free and convenient access to information, literature, culture and the arts through a variety of media and technologies.
- Bethel Public Library
- Bethel Public Library
- Bill Memorial Library
- Frederic Bill was born in that part of Groton which later became Ledyard. Educated locally, he taught school for a time in his native town before resigning to travel and sell books in both this country and Canada. In 1856 he joined his brother Gurdon in the publishing business in Springfield, Massachusetts, until the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861 when he disposed of his interest to his brother. Following the war, he engaged in the importation and manufacture of linen goods in the firm of Tracy & Bill in New York City. He purchased the interest of his partner in 1870 and three years later sold the entire business and retired from commercial life. On October 15, 1888, Mr. Bill sent identical letters to a group of Groton citizens in which he stated that he wished to found a library to honor the memory of his two sisters, Eliza and Harriet. For this purpose he had selected some 1700 books and provided cases to be installed in an upper room of the First District schoolhouse, which then stood on the site of the present Groton Heights School. His aim in the selection of these books, according to his letter, was that "in the volumes collected there may be found that which will tend to stimulate a high ambition, strengthen good resolve, cultivate the taste an afford pleasure to all who may read them." The library was opened for the distribution of books on November 20, 1888, with 1750 volumes on hand. During the next year, Mr. Bill had plans drawn up for a new library, choosing for it a site upon the summit of Groton Heights overlooking the Thames River. The original library building, designed by Stephen C. Earle of Worcester, Mass., was constructed of Stony Creek granite, trimmed with Maynard freestone, and finished with a red slate roof. It was dedicated on June 18, 1890. Mr. Bill's first wife, Lucy F. Denison Bill, died April 2, 1894, and on August 14, 1895, he married Julia 0. Avery, the first librarian of the Bill Memorial Library. In 1907, extensive additions to the building were made by Mr. Bill for the purpose of enlarging the main reading room and providing space for a natural history museum. At this time a collection of birds was added to a collection of butterflies and paintings. The butterflies and paintings can still be seen today. In addition to the BML, Mr. Bill gave generously to the support of the Groton Congregational Church, paid for the Groton Heights School in 1912, and was an early supporter of Connecticut College. He died in 1920 at the age of 86.
- Business & Industry
- Business & Industry Collections represent the diverse nature of the state’s industries, ranging from textile mills to complex technology. Many of the companies had their start as family-owned and operated small businesses and evolved into nationally known producers of such products as brass, hardware, machine tools, cutlery, clocks and watches, silk and other textiles, and and the networks that made them driving forces in the national economy. The collections are composed of a wide variety of materials including administrative and financial records, photographs, maps and drawings, and artwork and realia. Included in these materials are the historical records of southern New England railroads in general and the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad in particular.
- Case Memorial Library
- Case Memorial Library, Orange (Conn.), The Case Memorial Library is the public library serving the town of Orange, Connecticut.
- Cities, Suburbs, and Schools Project
- Research and learning on schooling and housing in metropolitan Hartford CT, based at Trinity College.
- Connecticut Historical Society
- A private, nonprofit, educational organization established in 1825, the Connecticut Historical Society is the state’s official historical society and one of the oldest in the nation. Located at 1 Elizabeth Street in Hartford, the CHS houses a museum, library, and the Edgar F. Waterman Research Center that are open to the public and funded by private contributions. The CHS’s collection includes more than 4 million manuscripts, graphics, books, artifacts, and other historical materials accessible at our campus and on loan at other organizations., Connecticut Historical Society
- Connecticut History
- The Connecticut History Collections include materials that document individuals, businesses, organizations located in or about Connecticut., Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries, The Connecticut History Collections include materials that document individuals, businesses, organizations located in or about Connecticut.
- Connecticut Landmarks
- Founded in 1936 as the Antiquarian & Landmarks Society, we are a state-wide network of twelve significant historic properties that span three centuries of New England history. Our museums are starting points, "landmarks in every sense," for deeper exploration and greater appreciation of the Connecticut experience. We have something for everyone: from captivating house tours to lovely historic gardens, history celebrations and remarkable collections of art and antiques. Our real-life stories, as told through our collections, make history matter. The historic, landmark properties span four centuries of Connecticut history and include: the Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden, Bethlehem; the Butler-McCook House & Garden and Main Street History Center, Hartford; the Buttolph-Williams House, Wethersfield; the Hempsted Houses, New London; the Isham-Terry House, Hartford; the Nathan Hale Homestead, Coventry; the Phelps-Hatheway House & Garden, Suffield., Connecticut Landmarks
- Connecticut State Museum of Natural History
- The Connecticut State Museum of Natural History and Office of State Archaeology are home to the University of Connecticut's Anthropological Collections that represent the single largest repository of Connecticut Native American, colonial and industrial artifacts in existence. The materials housed here document over 12,000 years of Connecticut's past. Many of the artifacts are one-of-a-kind, representing a last link to our early cultural heritage. The Office of State Archaeology is charged with both the conservation of these collections, to ensure their continued physical preservation, and their curation, to make sure the information they contain is systematically organized and readily usable. Since the formation of the OSA, the collections have evolved into an invaluable resource for historical and archaeological research projects, graduate student theses and dissertation research, and public educational exhibits. In addition to the state’s archaeological collections, the Anthropological and Natural History collections include cultural and natural materials from around the world. The collections are not only a vital resource within the University community; their reach is felt throughout New England and beyond. The Museum of Natural History is an important part of the University's broad educational vision--a vision focused not only on passing knowledge to future generations, but on applying this knowledge to solve problems and improve the quality of people's lives. The Museum offers a unique venue to share UConn's world-class scholarship directly with students and the broader general public. We strive to give people of all ages new types of learning experiences and interpret the scholarship generated here on campus in ways that make it relevant and useful to their own lives.
- Fairfield Museum and History Center
- The Fairfield Museum and History Center’s research library offers a wealth of materials on the history of Fairfield and Fairfield County from 1639 to the present.
- Florence Griswold Museum
- During the early years of the 20th century, the Lyme Art Colony, centered in Miss Florence Griswold’s boardinghouse, became America’s most famous summer art colony. Today this museum of art and history tells the story of how Connecticut played a pivotal role in fostering an authentic American art. Located in the village of Old Lyme, Connecticut, the Museum is devoted to serving a growing audience made up of a loyal network of friends and visitors from around the world.
- Hartford Medical Society
- The Hartford Medical Society has been in continuous existence for over 160 years. The Society’s rules, adopted September 15th of 1846, state: “The object of this Society, is to maintain the practice of Medicine and Surgery in this city upon a respectable footing; to expose the ignorance and resist the arts of quackery; and to adopt measures for the mutual improvement, pleasant intercourse, and common good of its members.”, Hartford Medical Society Historical Library
- International Cultural and Political Movements
- Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries, Collections that document cultural and political movements that occurred primarily outside the United States., Collections that document cultural and political movements that occurred primarily outside the United States.
- Ivoryton Library Association
- The Ivoryton Library, organized in 1871, is one of the few libraries in the state housed in its original structure, built in l889, that has continued to function as a library for over l00 years. The library has great significance for the village of Ivoryton because much of the present landscape and environment in the community is due to the unique ivory-cutting industry that flourished here during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The library, perfectly placed in the center of this once factory village, was built in part with funds from the ivory factory, Comstock, Cheney & Co. It is difficult to imagine that Ivoryton was at one time the center of the ivory cutting trade in the United States. A photographic exhibit of the Comstock Cheney ivory trade resides in the library as part of a permanent collection. Currently there are 9,000 books and other items on the shelves of the library, including archives on the library history, the ivory trade, and local history.
- Literary & Artistic Expression
- Documents creative expression in the literary arts represented in the papers of authors, poets, musicians and artists., Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries, Creative expression in the literary arts represented in the papers and works of authors, poets, musicians and artists.
- Lyman Allyn Art Museum
- The Lyman Allyn Art Museum, located in New London, Connecticut, was founded in 1926 at the bequest of Harriet Upson Allyn (1840 -1926). She was a life-long New London resident and the youngest of Captain Lyman Allyn’s (1797- 1874) six children. She named the museum in memory of her father, a man who commanded a whaling boat by the age of twenty-one and who later became a director of a banking company, an insurance company and a railroad company. Furthermore, Lyman Allyn founded a school for boys in New London in 1817. In 1910 Harriet Allyn had requested, in her will, that the Connecticut Trust and Safe Deposit Company of Hartford use money from her estate to create a park and a museum. In addition, Allyn donated a significant tract of land to neighboring Connecticut College, then a women’s school. Allyn’s death in 1926 established the beginning of the museum. Initially there was no collection and no building. Architect Charles A. Platt was hired “to design an elegant neo-classical granite structure on a hill overlooking New London and the Thames River” using a design similar to the one Platt created for the Addison Gallery of American Art at Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts. The museum opened in 1932, displaying a collection built by the first Director, Winslow Ames, which famously consisted of only thirteen works! After several additions and renovations, the Museum contains nine galleries, an auditorium, a library, conservation laboratory, offices, bookshop and café. Today, the permanent collection consists of over 10,000 paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, furniture and decorative arts, with an emphasis on American art from the 18th through 20th centuries.
- MAGIC Historical Map Collection
- Historical maps collected by the Maps and Geographic Information Center at the University of Connecticut Libraries, located on the Storrs campus.
- Mattatuck Museum
- The Mattatuck Museum was established as the Mattatuck Historical Society in 1877 to preserve the history of that part of Connecticut "anciently known as Mattatuck" - roughly the ten town region surrounding present-day Waterbury. In the 1960s the Historical Society expanded its mission to "collect and exhibit the works of Connecticut artists." The American Association of Museum accredited the museum in 1976, one of the first in the state to meet that standard. The Mattatuck Museum is known for engaging its community in an understanding of the past and providing vision and leadership for the future through its exhibits and collections of national significance that interpret the history of the region and the art of Connecticut.
- Mystic Arts Center
- Mystic Arts Center, a part of the Connecticut art scene for 100 years, is a place where culture, tradition, and the charm of small town New England converge. Founded in 1913 by a group of prominent artists rooted in the philosophy of the 19th century French landscape painters, Mystic Arts Center today serves as an arts and culture center for southeastern Connecticut.
- Mystic Seaport
- Mystic Seaport is the nation’s leading maritime museum. Founded in 1929 to gather and preserve the rapidly disappearing artifacts of America’s seafaring past, the Museum has grown to become a national center for research and education with the mission to “inspire an enduring connection to the American maritime experience.” The Museum’s 41,000 square-foot Collections Research Center (CRC) offers exceptional physical and electronic access to the more than 2 million artifacts. The collections range from marine paintings, scrimshaw, models, tools, ships plans, an oral history archive, extensive film and video recordings, and more than 1 million photographs—including the incomparable Rosenfeld Collection. The CRC is also home to the G.W. Blunt White Library, a 75,000-volume research library where scholars from around the world come to study America’s maritime history.